Ideas for improvements to Syncplay
We’ve got lots of great ideas for Syncplay, many of which have been helpfully suggested by our user. However, at present Syncplay 1.x only has one active core developer, so things might take a while. If you’re a developer then please chat on #Syncplay on chat.freenode.net about which features you could help developer, or e-mail email@example.com. You can suggest an idea by raising an issue on our GitHub page.
Tweaks and new features we expect to implement some day:
- Get information about currently playing file – e.g. CRC32 checksum
Might happen, not sure:
- Bookmarks / Saving of playlist state
- Per-server favourite rooms
- Get paths for Media Players on Windows via registry
- More style customisation options
- Allowing rooms to have a custom playback rate
Would need someone to come on board to develop:
- Support for more languages
- Support for additional media players – Additional media players would need to come from an individual who used that media player and was willing to maintain it, and may require modifications to the media player software itself. Last we checked, SMPlayer and PotPlayer lack the APIs / API Features that Syncplay needed to synchronise playback. It has been reported that SMPlayer may be controllable via mpris 2 but this yet to be investigated. See this thread for a discussion of KODI/XBMC support.
- Apps for easier execution of Syncplay servers, e.g. Launch on EC2″ button from http://shadow.github.io/ and Deploy to Heroku” button from https://devcenter.heroku.com/articles/heroku-button
If it happens, it will probably not be until Syncplay 2:
- Syncplay API
- SSL or equivalent to protect communications
- Allow for various settings to be changed at runtime
- Support for moving seen files to a /seen/ folder, etc
- Support for plugins – Could allow others to develop integration with Ultros bot server, Bittlebee gateway server, Mumble, IRC, MyAnimeList, Android/iOS controllers, etc
Unlikely to ever happen:
- Support for frame-percent synchronisation, e.g. for public displays – It’d be a lot of work for something which makes no difference for our core purpose, which is allowing for people to synchronise over the Internet (where VoIP latency and the inability to actually see the other screen means any small amount of latency is unimportant).
- Support for media player’s internal playlists – Use Syncplay’s shared playlists instead