Python 2 is being officially retired in 2020, and so it is important for Syncplay to begin the transition to Python 3. For Windows this currently means Python 3.4 (which still supports PySide1 and py2exe), but for other platforms we now support Python 3.4-3.7.
Note: Due to changes in how the Syncplay configuration file is saved you may have difficulty reverting from Syncplay 1.5.6+ back to Syncplay 1.5.4 or earlier. If you care about this then backup your syncplay.ini/.syncplay file prior to testing out Syncplay 1.5.6+. Going from 1.5.6+ to 1.5.5 should be fine.
P.S. The server guide has been updated by albertosottile to explain how to run a server on macOS: https://syncplay.pl/guide/server/
Warning: There are two known bugs in this release: File sizes being reported as ‘???’ and erroneous ‘not ready’ messages. A second beta is in the works!
Syncplay 1.5.6 Changelog:
- Transition to Python 3. Python 3.4+ is now required to run Syncplay. (Issue #169 by FSMaxB with input by albertosottile, xNinjaKittyx, and et0h) resolved by PR #191 (by albertosottile with support from xNinjaKittyx and et0h)
- Code syntax refactoring (#192 by xNinjaKittyx with code review by albertosottile and et0h)
See https://syncplay.pl/guide/client/ for an explanation of all the Syncplay features.
- Windows installer: https://syncplay.pl/Syncplay_1.5.6_Beta1.dmg
- Windows portable: https://syncplay.pl/Syncplay_1.5.6_Beta1_Portable.zip
- Linux Tarball: https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay/archive/v1.5.6-Beta1.tar.gz
- macOS .dmg file (10.11+): https://syncplay.pl/Syncplay_1.5.6_Beta1.dmg
- macOS legacy .dmg file (10.6.8+): https://syncplay.pl/Syncplay_1.5.3a_macOS_legacy.dmg
- Source code repository: https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay/
- mpv media player: https://mpv.io/ – it is best to be on mpv >= v0.28.0 so that the On-Screen Controller is hidden during chat input
Hashes for Syncplay-1.5.6-Beta1-Setup.exe (confirm with Microsoft’s File Checksum Integrity Verifier)
Hashes for Syncplay_1.5.6_Beta1_Portable.zip (confirm with Microsoft’s File Checksum Integrity Verifier)
Hashes for Syncplay_1.5.6_Beta1.dmg (confirmable using QuickHash GUI)
Hashes for Syncplay_1.5.3a_macOS_legacy.dmg (confirmable using QuickHash GUI)
Note: This open source software has been marked as clean by Jotti (.exe, .zip, .dmg, legacy .dmg) and VirusTotal (.exe, .zip, .dmg, legacy .dmg). Syncplay might be flagged as suspicious by some anti-malware systems simply because it is niche software downloaded from the Internet but as we are open source anyone can audit our code if they wish to do so.
As usual, if you are having problems or want to give feedback then please e-mail us (email@example.com) or chat with us on IRC (#syncplay on chat.freenode.net). Issues can be raised and discussed at https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay/issues
Thank you for flying with Syncplay!