This update features some long-awaited features, including the new logo by Catlinman, IPv6 support and TLS/SSL support by albertosottile (not yet available for Windows), improved VLC support and better handling of high-DPI displays by et0h. There were also some nice bonuses such as the last-minute addition of Spanish language support by bcattaneo and various tweaks and bug fixes. Thanks to everyone who contributed this release!
Change log for Syncplay 1.6.3:
- New Syncplay logo by catlinman as per his announcement (PR #219 by catlinman)
- IPv6 support (PR #215 by albertosottile ,requested in Issue #107 by dawnMachine)
- Initial TLS (SSL) support (PR #233 by albertosottile, and requested in #217 by alxpettit)
- Spanish Language support (PR #227 by bcattaneo)
- Automatically copy offer VLC interface script when it is needed (PR #220 by Et0h fixed Issue #193)
- Fix a VLC bug (Issue #213 raised by mechchicken resolved by albertosottile)
- Handle non-UTF8 messages to server (fixes Issue #210, based on PR #214 by xNinjaKittyx)
- Use high-DPI scaling where available (Etoh)
- Print error message if Twisted fails (Etoh)
- Fix bug which meant that –max-chat-message-length can’t be used to raise the maximum length (Issue #224 resolved by Etoh, raised by csritu)
- Fixed bug which meant that youtube-dl did not work on macOS (Issue #228 raised by brenolf, resolved by albertosottile)
Syncplay Download links (hosted by Github):
- Windows installer
- Windows portable
- Linux Tarball
- macOS .dmg file (10.12+)
- macOS 1.6.3 legacy .dmg file (10.6.8-10.11)
Other relevant links:
- Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Package (for if Syncplay does not load on Windows) – Download the 32-bit version, i.e. ‘vc_redist.x86.exe’.
- Source code repository: https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay/
(Note: If you want to use Syncplay with Python 2 then you can use Syncplay 1.5.5)
Hashes for Syncplay-1.6.3-Setup.exe (confirm with Microsoft’s File Checksum Integrity Verifier)
MD5: 803e97ee79866ddd5fe9b6b4e5398278 / SHA-1: 0b084499150e24389f2e97923a11c8fb30af528f
Hashes for Syncplay_1.6.3_Portable.zip (confirm with Microsoft’s File Checksum Integrity Verifier)
MD5: 424e59e6bda16f92f880c5e3b0776756 / SHA-1: 9c623910bb16b112163956fc656163344d6df596
Hashes for Syncplay_1.6.3.dmg (confirmable using QuickHash GUI)
MD5: 71aef9cbf862491d7e50003611d28157 / SHA-1: 25c9072732431559aec28ca4b782f8c15feacf1d
Hashes for Syncplay_1.6.3_macOS_legacy.dmg (confirmable using QuickHash GUI)
MD5: 52b2bd516d92dc0f91eb8ad23f0d62b9 / SHA-1: d79348af6dbc825c75706a82887110dca6768a12
Note: This open source software has been marked as clean by Jotti (.exe, .zip, .dmg, legacy .dmg) and VirusTotal (.exe, .zip, .dmg, legacy .dmg). Syncplay might be flagged as suspicious by some anti-malware systems simply because it is niche software downloaded from the Internet but as we are open source anyone can audit our code if they wish to do so.
Advice: If you use public servers, avoid ports 8995 and 8999
You can use any public server so long as you are all on the same one. However, the majority of people currently use ports 8995 and 8999 which means that for a more stable connection you should probably go for ports 8996, 8997 or 8998. On the sidebar to the right you will see a highlighted server selected at random from the lesser-used servers.
As usual, if you are having problems or want to give feedback then please e-mail us (firstname.lastname@example.org) or chat with us on IRC (#syncplay on chat.freenode.net; account registration required). Issues can be raised and discussed at https://github.com/Syncplay/syncplay/issues
Thank you for flying with Syncplay!